Thursday 30 August 2012

5 Guilty Pleasures



I dislike the term "guilty pleasure", I have never felt at all guilty about the things I like, but it is a socially accepted phrase used to describe things that perhaps a person like me shouldn't like, but does like. Perhaps it's a female thing, the guilty pleasure? Men tend to celebrate the things they shouldn't like or do, but do like or do. I never tire of a conversation in a pub about which films have made me and my mates cry.


I haven't posed a blog in a while, this isn't because I can't think of anything to blog about. Quite the opposite. I start writing a blog, and then I think of something better to write about, so I start writing about that, then I digress onto a tangent of something completely different. This is pretty much how I am in conversation, but when sat alone, writing things down, they turn into super-rants... hate filled attacks on the things I don't like. For instance, last week, a mild natter about parent's discipline somehow turned into a full forced written assault on any person who owns a tracksuit, in about 6 paragraphs. One day I will get this blogging thing down to a tee.


Down to a tee, I like that phrase. Which means precisely or perfectly. It is actually "down to a T", as it is a reference to the letter T. I am not sure what the T stands for, I think I read somewhere once that it stands for "tittle", which would make sense. However, I guess if you are going to use "tittle" (the dot on top of the lower-case i and j) you may as well use T, "cross the Ts and dot the Is". I may be wrong, I'm not Googling it.


See what I mean about digressing?

Guilty pleasures, yes. Here are 5 that spring to mind. There are many many more, one would suspect.


The Fast and The Furious
When I see the people who come into the shop I work in and either buy or sell "The Fast and The Furious" films, They could not be more unlike me (my tracksuit attack would have clarified that). They like ridiculously souped up hatchbacks, tribal tattoos, unrealistic car chases and pointless storylines. So do I. Yes they are dumb, but my God they are fun! Every line is a cliché, there is more product placement than an X-Factor advert break, washed down ghetto hip-hop music crammed in to every possible gap, uncredited female ass shots and pointless explosions. I love it!

Alkaline Trio
I don't really like punk rock, I love all that it stands for, and what it has done for the alternative music scene, and I love the punk community, but it's just not my bag. I especially avoid pop-punk! But between all the riff-heavy metal drones of Corrosion Of Conformity, Down and Stone Sour, and the addictive, synthetic dance beats of Orbital, Caribou and Unkle on my generic multi-media player, lie Alkaline Trio. I shouldn't like them, I don't usually like bands like them, I can't imagine I have much in common with their average fan, but I think they are brilliant. I have seen them live, too, and this confirmed the fact that they are one of my favourite bands out there.

Reading through my Girlfriend's trashy gossip magazines
If it is there, I will take it upstairs to the loo and read the shit out it. Junk mail, leaflets, shopping reciepts, instructions for flat packed furniture I put up 6 months ago, I just need something to read when I am at my most vulnerable time. When nature calls I will always pick up the nearest thing to me to take with me to read, and I must admit, when it is one of Jen's rubbish celebrity gossip magazines, I get a little bit excited. I usually have no interest in who was sick on Cheryl Cole's shoes at the annual awards for talentless zombies, but I will read that magazine from front to back. (Which is why I spend so long in there Jen, if you think about it, it's your fault.)

Ice Cream
Usually only reserved for kid's parties and 20 something girls who have just been dumped, Ice Cream is something I don't think I could live without. If you look back through my blog, you will see my dislike for warm things like coffee, which obviously results in a love of cold things, like ice cream! I do really love ice cream, all of it, I have never had a flavour I dislike. I was always the first in the queue when the Ice Cream Van came to our street when I was little, and the waiter in Frankie & Benny's in Middlebrook told me I was the first person to order a Coke Float this summer (it was April).

Little Boots
What's not to like?

So there you have it, 5 of my "guilty pleasures". Although we all know that they are not actually guilty pleasures, just things I like. I will try to avoid sharing details of my 5 actual guilty pleasures, Bondage, razor sharp stilettos, gas masks, rubber catsuits and... well... Little Boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment